Website Basics - An Introduction to the Web
I am providing some introductory level information on Websites and the web in general in the Website Basics section. This information is an overview of these topics. If you are considering a web presence there are some terms that you will need to know. I hope that the information given here is of value to you. I am offering a FREE PDF DOWNLOAD of the information in the Website Basics section
The Choices for Getting a Web Presence:
Buying an existing web site:
This could be a good deal or a bad deal. Be aware that there is a thriving business in selling web sites that are not really of much value. There is software available that will build a web site based on the key words that are input and populate it with affiliate links. The advertising line for this software is 'Why Park a Domain'. Somebody may happen upon it and buy something. I did not look at the sales letter mini-site, but I suspect that implied is that you can then sell the site as a going concern. Remember what P.T. Barnum is credited with saying, "There is a sucker born every minute."
Buy into a Program:
There are many offers to 'sell' you a program that will get you on the web with the hope of making your fortune. There are a few good programs that are a 'good' deal. Those programs offer many services to their customers. When evaluating a program of this type the decision should be based on your perception of the value of the whole bundle. Do not look only at the initial price, but what the support options are down the road and what is included in the package.
Build Your Own Website:
Building your own web site is a viable alternative. If you chose to build your own site you will know what you have. You will have to do some research and work a bit harder, and you may make some mistakes along the way, but probably not as big a mistake as paying somebody significant money for a cookie cutter site and still have to do the research to make it work for you. Speaking of research, I am off to do some further research for some articles that I have in mind for this site and for some of my other sites.
The Latest Posts From the Blog
– 0 – Money from the Web – 0 – The Reality Show
Provided courtesy of:
Collected Internet Marketing Information
- Is Your Internet Business a HABIT? or a HOBBY?
- Thu, 26 Feb 2015 10:01:32 +0000 - By Chris Ford When you hear the word HABIT does a negative connotation come to mind? For most people YES. How about for you? The future of your internet business will depend on your day to day habits. Are your treating your business like a business? or more like a hobby? So, how do you define HABIT? A dear friend of mine recently sent me an excerpt that is the best description of habit that I have ever heard. It goes like this. I am your greatest burden or your greatest asset because I am your constant companion. I will push you forward or drag you down. I am completely at your command. Half the things you do you may as well just turn over to me and I will do them quickly and quietly. I am easily managed with firm direction. Show me exactly what you want done, and I will do them automatically without you having to think about it I am your servant and the servant of all great men and women. Those who are great, I have made great. Those who are failures, I have made failures. I am very powerful both positively and negatively, so use me wisely. I am not a machine, although I work more efficently than any machine when operated properly. You may operate me for profit or operate me for loss, it makes no difference to me. Be easy and lackadasical with me and I will destroy you. Who am I? I am HABIT. That excerpt made a huge difference on me and my internet business. You see, the tendency for most internet marketers, especially if your part-time, is that the business will take care of itself when it takes care of itself. Well I beg to differ. Your internet business will take care of nothing. You are your internet business. So let me ask you, “Are your habits moving you and your business closer to where you want to be or farther away? I believe you are only going in one of two directions, forward or backward. If you are […]
- How to Make Money With PLR
- Thu, 26 Feb 2015 02:31:38 +0000 - By Chris Ford What is PLR? PLR stands for private label rights. Basically its a ‘license’ to resell another’s ‘information product’. With the master resell rights that generally come with PLR, that product can be tweaked, changed or modified as you see fit. You are given the authority with PLR to brand that product as your very own. With master resell rights, you are given the authority to do the following: give the material away unaltered, combine the material with others, give the material away as a bonus item, use the material as content for websites, divide the product into separate articles, put the rights for the material or the material itself up for auction, provide the material as content for paid membership sites, sell resell rights for the material, change or alter the material. PLR vs Private Resell Rights The difference between private label rights and private resell rights is that with PLR you are given the right to change or alter the product, create your own specifications, apply modifications and make it your own. With private resell rights you have the right to resell the product as is, without changing its form, design or name. The Advantages of PLR 1 – Cost efficient. Obtaining PLR articles is a lot less expensive than hiring someone to write for you. Article writing is generally $15-20 per article, whereas PLR articles can be obtained for approximately $20-$30 for 200 or so articles. 2 – Saves time. Obviously, with the content already provided, the modifications and personal branding saves considerable time over producing the same original content from scratch. 3 – No outbound links. With PLR articles, you are not obligated to add ‘outbound links’ advertising to your article. 4 – Brand you own name. With the content advertised and authored by you, you instantly build credibility with your list. 5 – Well Written by experts. Almost all “private label rights” articles are professionally written and compiled or collected with the most up-to-date research, investigation and information done by experienced writers. 6 – Editorial Freedom. PLR rights allow you to change, alter […]
- The Three Steps To Earning An Internet Home Income
- Wed, 25 Feb 2015 06:56:13 +0000 - By Jon Allo Some people get overwhelmed and confused with all the different internet home business opportunities that are available and this unfortunately leads to little or no success. It is possible to generate an income from home on the internet but it does involve more that just pushing a few buttons on your computer. All the successful online entrepreneurs follow these three steps. 1. Traffic & Advertising. To generate an online income from home you need to drive traffic to your website and sales pages. The fastest way to generate traffic is with advertising. In some cases, new online entrepreneurs don’t want to spend money on advertising and that’s okay because there are tactics that bring in free traffic. Having said that, these free methods do take time to gather momentum. If you want quicker results, you have to invest in your business. Paid traffic can come from a wide range of sources and if you set yourself a monthly budget you can see which strategy will suit your budget and your target audience. 2. Building A List. List building is one of the most important elements of any online business. This list is the names and email addresses of potential and actual customers who have given you their permission to send them emails about your products and services. If you send your traffic directly to a sales page and people do not buy, you have lost that potential customer for good. However, if you have their email address you can start to build a relationship with the people on your list by continually providing value with follow up emails. As you provide more value, the people on your list will come to trust you, see you as an authority within your niche and will be more inclined to buy from you. 3. The Right Products. As you build your list and you send emails to your subscribers about your products and services it brings us to the third and perhaps the most obvious step to generating an online income from home – and that is having the right […]
- Email Marketing – Seven Magic Power Words
- Tue, 24 Feb 2015 16:47:37 +0000 - By Chris Ford Do you have an amazing product but having trouble getting your emails opened? Are you having trouble getting other like-minded online marketers engaged in your offer? It can be frustrating at times. Every online marketer experiences this at one time or another. As we know, online marketing is a copy-cat world. That one idea can take you places you have never dreamed of. To help you with getting your emails opened try these seven magic power words in your subject lines. They helped me increase my email open-rate by over 20%. As a result, your list should grow much more rapidly. 7 Magic Power Words 1. Because. This is a very powerful word. Why? Because we all want to know why. If you know the why, you can figure out the how. For example, this email subject line works well for me, “Because your education is priceless, this system….”. Another example that works well is, “Because it saves valuable time, this program…”. Are you starting to get the picture now? The word “Because” creates a mental image and answers a question to a problem. This word is very intriguing. 2. Now. This is one of my favorites. The word ‘Now’ is an action word. After all, if your potential subscriber does nothing and takes no action, your efforts are lost. I come from a sales background, and the word ‘Now’ creates that sense of urgency. Examples to use in your email marketing include, “Now, for a limited time, this free report….”. Another example I like to use is, “For NOW, this system is available for…”. 3. Imagine. When you use the word ‘Imagine’ in your subject lines a very powerful mind technique goes to work. This mind technique was taught to me by Jim Lutes, Quanta co-founder, and world reknown personal development expert. The word imagine takes the reader inside themselves and paints a mental picture. After all, sales is about painting pictures. For example, “Imagine yourself sitting on the beach and your product is being opened all around the world”. Another example I like to use […]
- Eight Stumbling Blocks To Avoid In Online Home Business Industry
- Tue, 24 Feb 2015 14:04:40 +0000 - By Jon Allo When you start an online business it does involve more than putting up a website with a few products on it and then sitting back waiting for the money to magically start rolling in. So, if you want to start an online business from home, what are the risks that you need to look out for? 1. Believing You’ll Get Rich Quick. There is no such thing as a ‘get rich quick’ online business where you do a few minutes work each day and earn thousands in a matter of weeks. It takes time, effort and resources to start your own online business. What you put in, is what you get out. 2. Being Regarded As A Spammer. Everyone on the internet has an email address that they check regularly and email marketing is one of the best ways to stay in touch with potential customers. But it is important that you get somebody’s permission to send them emails, or else your online home business could be labelled as a spam. 3. Selling Inferior Products Or Services. Affiliate marketing is one of the easiest ways to start an online business. It’s a model based on you selling other people’s products and earning a commission. But not all products are created the same so ensure that your chosen products are reputable and good quality before you start to sell them. 4. Critics. Friends and family do not necessarily make trusted business advisers. They can also undermine your efforts, whether intentionally or unintentionally. Separate your online home based business activities from your family and friends and look to join an online community of like minded entrepreneurs for your business advice. 5. Overwhelm. There will be times when it can seem like there are too many internet home business opportunities to choose from and too many new things to learn. To avoid overwhelm, take some of the pressure off of yourself. All of this information you need to digest is not going anywhere. It’s going to be here tonight, next week, and a year from now. 6. Poor Quality Traffic. […]
- Eight Dominant Traits of a Successful Internet Marketer
- Mon, 23 Feb 2015 16:30:35 +0000 - By Chris Ford Internet marketing is a brave new world these days. Do you know any successful internet marketers? Do you know any unsuccessful internet marketers? Are you an aspiring internet marketer yourself? I know several of each, both successful and unsuccessful. The unsuccessful are past friends, long gone, back to the daily 9 to 5 JOB. I was thinking of them recently and trying to decide what separates the ones that win online and the onlines that don’t. Here is my top eight dominant traits of a successful internet marketer. 1. Faith. Whether you believe in God, a higher power, or worship any other gods, in my opinion you must have faith. To me, faith means believing in the unknown. I am a Christian, raised in the South. I believe in the trilogy, God the father, Jesus the son, and the holy spirit. Having a relentless, God first mentality is more important, in my opinion and belief, than anything else. Whatever you believe in, having faith is my top priority. 2. Family. Does your family support your decision? Does your family know about your internet marketing business? Does your family know about your internet marketing desires? Having the support of your family is highly important. After all, who loves you more than family? No one. 3. Relationships. Does your spouse or partner support your internet marketing business? If not, therein lies big trouble. If so, congratulations. You see, in my opinion, any successful internet marketer knows that the work ethic to succeed online is not matched or equalled in the normal 9 to 5 corporate world. If your spouse or partner is not supporting you, the time spent building your business can cause major issues. 4. Mentor. Having a mentor or mentors is very important as well. After all, I don’t know of any colleges, universities or formal educational institutions where you can learn the ins and outs of internet marketing. Having a mentor to learn from, to ask questions, with live or recorded video training and teaching is vital. The internet is constantly evolving. Learning from your mentor […]
- Five Tips To Help You Improve Your Affiliate Marketing Business
- Mon, 23 Feb 2015 13:50:56 +0000 - By Jon Allo The affiliate marketing business is like being a commission paid sales person. As an affiliate, your job is to promote and sell another people’s products and services online. When you make a sale, you earn a commission from the product owner based on the value of the sale. Here are five tips to help you get better in the affiliate marketing business. 1. Promote Products That Your’re Interested In. If you try and sell products or services that you have no interest in, it is going to be very difficult to remain motivated to sell online. If you have an interest in what you’re promoting, you will have more in common with your target audience and you’ll be more willing to put in the work to sell it. 2. Always Build A Customer List. If you send your potential buyers to a sales page and they don’t buy something that potential buyer is gone forever. But if you send them to page (referred to as a squeeze page) that offers them something of value, like a free eBook about the product, in return for their email address, you can then email them about your product and service. If they don’t buy, you still have their email address which means you can stay in contact with them and email them other offers over time. 3. Build Relationships. You need to build trust from the people on your list by establishing yourself as an authority in your industry and allowing them to see you as a regular person who provides value, not some hard sell sales-person. Think of your affiliate marketing business as a business that ‘tells’ as opposed to ‘sells’. As your relationship with your subscribers develops, they will start to look forward to your emails, have faith in your opinions and be more likely to buy from you. 4. Have Various Revenue Streams. Don’t just rely on selling one product at one price. You will have more success making money with affiliate marketing if you provide customers with several alternatives rather than just one. Ideally, your affiliate […]
- Five Important Goals For Your Home Internet Business
- Mon, 23 Feb 2015 00:43:44 +0000 - By Jon Allo There is much more to running an online home business that just having a website and hoping that somebody will buy something from you. Your main objective might be to make money or to spend more time at home but if you don’t know what you will do with that money or time how will you know if you are achieving any success? To ensure that your online home business achieves what you want it to achieve, take a minute to answer these five questions. 1. Are Your Goals Specific and Realistic? You have to make sure that your online home business goals are realistic and specific. You may want to make millions in a couple of months but that is not realistic. When you have set a realistic goal, you will need to work backwards to create a plan of action so that you can achieve that goal. 2. Do You Have A Plan That Will Work? Once you create the plan of action to reach each goal that you’ve set, you need to think about how you will achieve it. For example, if you set a goal is to send an email your subscribers 3 times with useful and valuable information but you haven’t make time for research, composition and sending of the 3 emails you will not achieve your objective because there will always be something else to do. 3. Are You Prepared To Learn From Failure? Setting up and running a work from home business will have its ups and downs. If you are not willing to learn from the mistakes you make, you will be more inclined to give up. Learn from the failure and change the schedule to be more realistic and achievable. 4. Have You Set Too Many Goals? Just as setting too few goals for your online home business can be a problem, so can setting too many. If you set too many goals at once, you might get overwhelmed and achieve none. You can add more goals as time goes on. You don’t need to do know how […]
- Five Email Marketing Mistakes You Must Avoid
- Sun, 22 Feb 2015 16:42:33 +0000 - By Chris Ford Building a relationship with your list takes time. Relationship marketing via email is all about trust. Do you have a list? If so, do they trust you? How do you know they trust you? Successful internet marketers work extremely hard to build an email list. An effective list that trusts you is like having a fishing pond full of hungry fish ready to eat whatever you feed them. If you fed your fish something that harmed them, do you think they would continue to swim in your pond? I think not. The same holds true for your email marketing list. If you continue to provide value, help them succeed online, provide great content they can use, then you have a fish for life. Once you have created your list, make sure you do not betray that trust they have bestowed upon you. These five email marketing mistakes discussed below must be avoided at all cost, or your fish will go looking for a new pond to swim in. 1. Never, Ever, Ever Spam. Even though your optin subscriber has given you permission to send them emails, avoid sending them a sales pitch on a daily basis. Before your send an email to your list ask yourself this question, “Would I find value in receiving this email or is he/she just trying to sell me something?” That should be your acid test when you send an email to your list. Learn to send emails that provide quality content, will help that person, and provide those emails at strategic intervals. 2. Sending Emails to Your List only when you are selling something. This goes hand in hand with number 1 above. If there is no value in being on your list then that optin will most definitely “Opt-out” and unsubscribe. Once you have violated their trust, you will never get it back. That trust is gone forever. 3. Ignoring your list for long periods of time. I know some marketers that have a rule of thumb to mail their list not once per day, but twice per day. I […]
- Five Ways To Enhance Your Website Link Building Skills
- Sat, 21 Feb 2015 20:59:50 +0000 - By Jon Allo Search engine optimization, also known as SEO, plays a substantial part in how well your website ranks in search engines results and website link building is one of the key factors of SEO. Link building is the practice of getting links from other websites to your own. Search engines use links to crawl the web to find new web pages and to help identify how well a page should rank in their results. These five SEO link building tips will enable you to get your website to the top of the search results. 1. Don’t Use The Same Anchor Text All The Time. Anchor text are the highlighted words that when clicked, will link to open a specific webpage. When working on your website link building, avoid using use the same anchor text over and over again on your webpages. The search engines consider this to be very suspicious particularly if your website is not getting very many links and then, out of the blue, you get a hundred or so links with the same exact anchor text. 2. Have Different Link Sources And Targets. It is very unusual for a legitimate website to have a big percentage of its links all coming from the same place. You need get as many different types of incoming links from as many different places as you can. An excellent way to control this issue is with article marketing. In addition, to enhance your website linking building strategy, don’t just send all your external links to your homepage. Link to the other pages of your website and its inner content. 3. Check Where Your Links Come From. Before you place a link on any page you can check if the website is indexed by typing the following in the Google search box: Info:SiteYouWantToLookup.com. Some people try and get links from as many possible websites as they can. If it is a bad page the link, at best, will be completely useless. At worst, it can cause search engine penalties when obtained in high quantities. 4. Reciprocal Links From Other Websites. […]